I think everyone knows that Tim fell and shattered his hip in November, 2007 and had emergency surgery (had 4 titanium rods put in)--kind of like putting Humpty Dumpty back together again. After being on disability for six months (he was on bedrest and could not walk for the first three months), he was finally released to return to his job of ten years, when they laid him off. This of course happened after his employer repeatedly assured us his position would be safe and they would not pursue "filling" his position, however that is exactly what they did.
Like many families, we did not have a nest egg of savings to fall back on and soon found ourselves falling deep into a hole of financial trouble. The fact that it was four months after his accident before we ever received the first disability check and another three months after he was released from disability before we began to receive unemployment benefits (due to dishonesty from his previous employer), did all but help our situation. If we had been following Dave Ramsey sooner, we may have had an emergency fund built up to draw from, but we didn't.
In July, 2008 we filed for bankruptcy (chapter 13) to avoid the foreclosure of our home and repossession of our van (a 12 passenger to seat all 8 of us and our only vehicle). Because Tim hadn't yet found a job when we first appeared in court (fall of 2008), they kindly gave us a two-month extension. Those two months came and went and when we again returned to court, he was still unemployed, so we were given another two-month extension. This happened a total of three times, I think.
Fast forward to April, 2009 when we again went to court. Tim was still unemployed and the court could no longer give us an extension (understandably so). This resulted in our bankruptcy case being "dismissed". This meant that all of our debt up to the point of July, 2007 (when we first filed bankruptcy) and all the additional charges inbetween were instantly thrown back at us!
Just so it may be easier for anyone reading this to understand, from July, 2008 to the present, we had been paying our monthly mortgage payment to the bank and a set monthly payment to the "trustee" of the court to be paid toward our outstanding debt (van payment and credit cards). The payments we made toward our debt were eventually sent back to us since the bankruptcy was dismissed. Since the mortgage payments were made directly to the bank and were immediately applied to our mortgage, there was no reason for those payments to be returned. I hope I'm explaining this clearly enough.
Again, not having an "emergency fund" or savings really did us in. It was mid-April, 2009 when they came and repossessed our van. This was very difficult for us since it was the only vehicle we had that sat all 8 of us.
Also in April, we found out that our home was again listed for foreclosure. Let me say that this was absolutely devastating. I had a pit in my stomach that was becoming larger and larger and even though I "knew" that God was in control of all things, I still felt so completely helpless. We had roughly 4 weeks before the foreclosure would take place.
Tim made phone call after phone call to the bank that holds our mortgage and finally spoke to the "right" representative who sent us a "modification" packet to complete. It was such a frustrating time because it was almost impossible to get through to a representative whenever he called. We received the packet and Tim completed the paperwork and provided all the information required and sent it back in hopes of it being approved/accepted.
Trying to shorten this story, about five days prior to our foreclosure date, we received word that it had been "placed on hold" until our case could be assigned a negotiator and thoroughly reviewed. PRAISE GOD! It was an immediate relief to know that we wouldn't be kicked out of our home in just five days!
This was just two weeks ago and we have still not been contacted. Tim has called a few times to try to reach the negotiator, but she has not been available. We will, of course, continue to call and try to get through.
That is what has been happening with us financially and there have been plenty of other more personal "bumps in the road" that I won't get into right now, but have certainly contributed to things going on in our lives. Combine this with being pregnant, having minor illness in the family amongst some of us, and just plain everyday life, well, do you get the point?
One thing I know for sure is that "this too shall pass". This is yet just another "test" God has allowed us and we are supposed to come out better and wiser for it. I am ultimately depending on Him. Not to say this has been easy at all because it HASN'T! Like anyone else, I've felt weak, helpless, defeated, scared, and yes, sometimes even abandoned. Because we are not to trust in our own emotions, I really need to read scripture during these weak times. One verse in particular stands out that benefits me:
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:5-6
In closing, I'd like to say thank you to anyone who may have read this post and I'm sorry it was so long. We really, REALLY covet your prayers!!! Below are just a few other verses that help me during difficult times, and I hope they will bless others as well.
For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto
thee, Fear not; I will help thee.
Isaiah 41:13
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in
glory by Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
1 Peter 5:7
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD,
thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
Jeremiah 29:11
The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.
Nahum 1:7
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28
I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Psalms 91:2
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Summary of Stuff Going On Lately
Posted by Tie Dye Mom at 9:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment